A colleague of mine recently flagged this automated, quasi real-time crisis map: Global Incident Map. The map displays the latest 25 terror-related incidents using customized icons. These include markers for suspicious devices, bus hijackings, airport incidents, etc. Clicking on the icon provides a link to local news report(s) concerning the event. The service is subscription based so I wasn’t able to tinker around as much as I would have liked.
Patrick Meier (PhD)iRevolution has 1 Million+ hits!
Patrick is an internationally recognized thought leader on the application of new technologies for crisis early warning, humanitarian response and resilience. Presently serves as Director of Social Innovation at the Qatar Foundation’s Computing Research Institute. Previously co-directed Harvard's Program on Crisis Mapping & Early Warning and served as Director of Crisis Mapping at Ushahidi. Patrick holds a PhD from The Fletcher School, a Pre-Doctoral Fellowship from Stanford & MA from Columbia. He was born & raised in Africa.
Follow on Twitter: @patrickmeier
Table of Contents
Popular Posts This Week
- Using Big Data to Inform Poverty Reduction Strategies
- Using Crowdring for Disaster Response?
- The Geography of Twitter: Mapping the Global Heartbeat
- How ReCAPTCHA Can Be Used for Disaster Response
- Big Data for Disaster Response: A List of Wrong Assumptions
- Crowdsourcing Crisis Information from Syria: Twitter Firehose vs API
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.