This data visualization (click to enlarge) displays more than 23,500 photos taken in Brooklyn and posted to Instagram during Hurricane Sandy. A picture’s distance from the center (radius) corresponds to its mean hue while a picture’s position along the perimeter (angle) corresponds to the time that picture was taken. “Note the demarcation line that reveals the moment of a power outage in the area and indicates the intensity of the shared experience (dramatic decrease in the number of photos, and their darker colors to the right of the line)” (1).
Patrick Meier, PhDiRevolutions has 1.5 Million+ hits!
Patrick is an internationally recognized thought leader on humanitarian technology and innovation. Author (2015): "Digital Humanitarians: How Big Data is Changing Humanitarian Response." Previously: Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, United Nations, World Bank. Currently: QCRI. PhD from Fletcher School, Pre-Doctoral Fellow at Stanford and MA at Columbia. Born & raised in Africa.
Sign up here for my Newsletter
Follow on Twitter: @patrickmeier
Table of Contents
Popular Posts This Week
- World Bank Using UAVs for Disaster Risk Reduction in Tanzania
- The First Ever 3D Model of a Refugee Camp Made with UAV Imagery
- Using UAVs to Map Diamond Mines and Reduce Conflict in Africa
- Rescue Robotics: An Introduction
- Counter-Mapping the State with UAVs
- A Practical Introduction to UAVs for NGOs
- 3D Digital Humanitarians: The Irony
- Developing Guidelines for Humanitarian UAV Missions
- Social Media for Disaster Response – Done Right!
- Review: The First Ever Course on Humanitarian UAVs
- Handbook: How to Catalyze Humanitarian Innovation in Computing Research Institutes
- Humanitarian UAV Missions: Towards Best Practices
- Assessing Disaster Damage from 3D Point Clouds
- Humanitarian UAV Missions in Nepal: Early Observations (Updated)
- A Force for Good: How Digital Jedis are Responding to the Nepal Earthquake (Updated)
- Can Massively Multiplayer Online Games also be Next Generation Humanitarian Technologies?
- Artificial Intelligence for Monitoring Elections (AIME)
- Crowdsourcing Point Clouds for Disaster Response
- How Digital Jedis Are Springing to Action In Response To Cyclone Pam
- Pictures: Humanitarian UAV Mission to Vanuatu in Response to Cyclone Pam